Financial Affairs Main Page
UAB Chief Financial Officer
Accounts Payable
Administrative Systems Training
Budget Administration
Contracts & Vendor Compliance
Cost and Space Analysis
Equipment Accounting
Financial Accounting
Financial Review Services
Payroll Services
Student Accounting
Tax Services
University Purchasing
Object Code Search
Policies & Guidelines
Reports & Publications
Resource Links
UAB Financial Affairs
University of Alabama at Birmingham
701 20th Street South
921 Administration Building
Birmingham, AL 35294
Search Financial Affairs UAB Home UAB Directory UAB Calendars

purchasing   /  Training Resources - Contracts


When do I need a formal contract with a company/individual?
In determining whether a contract is required:

1) First, look at the amount of the fee (excluding travel). If the fee is $2,499 or less, no contract is required unless there are terms or conditions or signatures required (see item 3).

2) If the fee is $2,500 or more, determine if the service is professional, consulting, or non-professional.

  • Professional services are usually performed by an individual with an advanced degree (PhD, MD, architect, engineer, lawyer etc).
  • Consulting Services will include independent contractors or other individuals who possess a high degree of skill in their field.  If the fee is $2,500 or more for either professional services or consulting, a contract is required.  Note that no differentiation is made between whether payee is a company or individual.  The same rules apply.
  • Non-professional services are usually performed by individuals without an advanced degree and include lawn care specialists, janitorial services, window cleaning, etc.  If the fee is $7,500 or more, a contract is required.

3) If there are terms or conditions or a signature is required, a contract is always required.

Are contract templates available for me to use?
Yes.  You can find various contract templates here.

What is the difference between a contract and a fee for service agreement?
UAB's Procurement Office has recently changed the nomenclature for most formal agreements with external entities (company/individual) from contracts to fee for service agreements.  The words can be used interchangeably, but the contracts themselves are worded as fee for service agreements.

If the company/individual requires a cash down payment or deposit, do I need a contract?
Maybe.  If the total amount to be paid (including deposit) is above the appropriate contract threshold, a contract is required.  If not above the threshold, a contract would not be required UNLESS a signature is required or there are terms and conditions.

When do I need an Event Preapproval Form?
An Event Preapproval Form is required whenever UAB will be sponsoring an event whether or not any UAB funds will be spent or a non-UAB sponsored event when UAB funds will be spent.  It does not matter whether the event is occurring at UAB or at a remote location.  More information about event preapproval can be found here.

*An Event Preapproval Form is not required if the event is an official UAB event oriented towards students/trainees, endowment-funded lectureships, or ticket events.

If I have an approved Event Preapproval Form, do I also need a contract?
This depends on the situation.  If the event is sponsored by UAB and occurring at UAB, then a contract would not be required.  However, if the event is occurring at a location other than UAB, a contract might be required if it meets or exceeds the UAB contract thresholds amounts OR there is a formal agreement that requires a signature.

© Copyright 2007 UAB Financial Affairs    All Rights Reserved
Web Development by Infomedia