Financial Affairs Main Page
UAB Chief Financial Officer
Accounts Payable
Administrative Systems Training
Budget Administration
Contracts & Vendor Compliance
Cost and Space Analysis
Equipment Accounting
Financial Accounting
Financial Review Services
Payroll Services
Student Accounting
Tax Services
University Purchasing
Object Code Search
Policies & Guidelines
Reports & Publications
Resource Links
UAB Financial Affairs
University of Alabama at Birmingham
701 20th Street South
921 Administration Building
Birmingham, AL 35294
Search Financial Affairs UAB Home UAB Directory UAB Calendars

purchasing   /  Training Resources - Licenses


Can the costs associated with licensing/certification fees be reimbursed?
UAB can't reimburse individuals for the costs associated with obtaining licenses or certifications.  In many cases licensure/certification is a requirement of the position that the individual is applying for or employed as.  However, UAB can reimburse individuals for the costs associated with maintaining or renewing licenses/certifications IF it is a requirement of the official job description as defined by Human Resources AND the department/school pays for ALL similar licensures/certifications.

For more detailed information about UAB policy related to licenses/certifications, please click here.

How do I reimburse a non-resident alien working at UAB for the $320 application fee for H1-B visa costs?
If the non-resident alien is 1042s reportable, the reimbursement should be done as a non-recurring element through Payroll using the "retention pay" element.  If the non-resident alien is W2 reportable, the reimbursement can be done on a License template in Oracle through Accounts Payable IF they are paid below the prevailing wage (which is a rare occurrence).  Contact Kim Mitchell in Payroll to determine which mechanism of reimbursement is appropriate for the individual employee.  Include her e-mail regarding the payment in any backups faxed into Optidoc (if doing a payment request).

Can I pay the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for the expedited fee related to H1-B visa processing?
Yes, UAB can pay for the expedited fee when paid directly to DHS IF UAB is requiring that the non-resident alien obtain the certification more quickly due to a UAB requirement.  UAB can't pay for the expense if the individual just wishes to obtain it more quickly.  UAB must require the expedition of the certification.  This should be processed as Other Services using object code 8609998.

© Copyright 2007 UAB Financial Affairs    All Rights Reserved
Web Development by Infomedia