Financial Affairs Main Page
UAB Chief Financial Officer
Accounts Payable
Administrative Systems Training
Budget Administration
Contracts & Vendor Compliance
Cost and Space Analysis
Equipment Accounting
Financial Accounting
Financial Review Services
Payroll Services
Student Accounting
Tax Services
University Purchasing
Object Code Search
Policies & Guidelines
Reports & Publications
Resource Links
UAB Financial Affairs
University of Alabama at Birmingham
701 20th Street South
921 Administration Building
Birmingham, AL 35294
Search Financial Affairs UAB Home UAB Directory UAB Calendars

payroll services   /  NRA - Independent Contractor Payments

Independent contractor payments (e.g. honorarium payments, foreign-source income payments, etc.) must be approved by a financial affairs tax accountant. To determine if services qualify as independent contractor services, organizations must submit:

Documents should be submitted for approval prior to the date(s) of service. Non-US citizen independent contractor payments determined payable through Payroll Services require the non-US citizen to meet with UAB Global - International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for a tax analysis. Payments must be approved by ISSS.

PSF forms submitted and/or approved after the non-US citizen has left campus require the submitting department to contact ISSS to determine what information is required for a tax analysis. The process is the same for non-US citizens that perform services in external locations at the request of UAB departments.

ISSS will assist the independent contractor with applying for a permanent US identification number if necessary. However, payments may be issued using a temporary records identification number. Following the tax analysis, ISSS will notify the department and Payroll Services ( of the results. If the non-resident does not have a US tax identification number, a temporary identification number will be assigned and document processing instructions will be sent to the department.

Payments to non-US citizens with temporary identification numbers are subject to maximum tax withholdings. Treaty benefits, if applicable, will be granted once the permanent US identification number is received.

Expense reimbursements for non-resident alien independent contractors do not require a personal services form. If the non-resident does not have a US tax identification number, the department should forward a completed W-8BEN form via email ( or fax (934-9369). The department will be notified once the supplier number has been assigned.

Travel expense reimbursement for non-resident alien independent contractors are subject to the rules of the UAB Individual Independent Contractor Accountable Travel Plan policy.

© Copyright 2007 UAB Financial Affairs    All Rights Reserved
Web Development by Infomedia