Student employees are typically assigned 06 Student or 04 Irregular assignment categories. (Exception: development, non-UAB student training or university training participants may be classified as 46 Trainee or 99 Requisition. Click here to view the requirements including approved programs and appointment procedures.)
Application for student employment may be found here.
Students may be assigned to biweekly or monthly payrolls dependent on the nature of the student assignment.
- Biweekly Student Employee Job Titles
- 0844.Student Asst/Coop
- 0TEN.Student Asst/Work Study
- B845.Student Asst
- B846.Student Housing Resident Asst
- S020001.Teaching Asst-H
- ZT301N0.Student Assistant Contracted
- Monthly Student Employee Job Titles
HRM Compensation (6 digit codes) and the Provost Office (4 digit codes) maintain the job descriptions for all job titles. Questions regarding the appropriateness of a specific title should be directed to the appropriate office.
The maximum pay rate for a non-graduate student employee job title is linked to the minimum pay rate for a grade level 13. This amount is provided in the current year General Grade & Range Structure on Compensation's website.
- Non-exempt student employees are covered under the protections of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Non-exempt student employees are required to submit time via the TEL document. Instructions for processing biweekly time are available here.
- ZT301N0.Student Assistant Contracted positions must be approved by HRM Compensation using the Student Assistant Contracted Request and Approval Form.
- Graduate-level student job titles are applicable only to organizations with approved graduate programs. Questions regarding graduate programs and students should be directed to the UAB Graduate School.
- Students in Graduate-level student job titles may have multiple assignments; however, cumulative full time equivalency (FTE) may not be greater than .5. Questions regarding graduate programs and students should be directed to the UAB Graduate School.
- Students (excluding students in Graduate-level student job titles) may have multiple assignments; however, cumulative full time equivalency (FTE) may not be greater than .937. Additionally, students may qualify for FICA tax exemption. View the Student FICA Exemption Policy.
- Non-US citizens on a F-1 student visa may not work more than 20 hours per week unless on academic vacation. Contact UAB Global - International Student and Scholar Services for questions regarding F-1 visa holders and employment eligibility.